About the MRI
We need your Support
First introduced at the Owen Sound Regional Hospital in 2004, MRI is a proven, essential diagnostic test for more than 11,000 Grey Bruce patients each year.
Replacing our 14-year-old machine with new, next generation equipment means:
- average test time reduced by 10 minutes: more patients can be tested
- 10x resolution of existing equipment greatly enhances image quality
- enables 3d imaging, new cardiac and prostate tests, enhanced breast imaging
- less noise and increased patient comfort during testing
- increased capacity means larger patients can be imaged locally
- more energy efficient
“I am eternally grateful that we have an MRI machine”
The MRI at GBHS Owen Sound is used daily: including evenings and weekends, with people on a waiting list. The current machine is 14 years of age and parts are getting harder to obtain. The need for a new machine is great and as the government does not provide funding, it is vital for the community to take up this responsibility. Maureen Strickland
MRI diagnostic capabilities:
- Early detection of ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) and forms of dementia
- Stroke – detecting areas of the brain with restricted blood flow
- Coronary – shows heart muscle movement and blood flow through the arteries.
- Detecting and monitoring aneurysms, so surgery can be performed at an optimistic time
- Monitoring diabetics and patients who suffer from blood vessel problems
MRI enables patients requiring highly specialized surgery out of region to have all their pre-surgical work done close to home.
The presence of the MRI is essential to the recruitment of certain specialists to the area (e.g. orthopedic surgeons, rheumatologists, neurologists). MRI is expected to be available to recent medical graduates across the country. These doctors are reluctant to set up practice without MRI as a diagnostic tool.
Our goal is to raise: $4.7 Million
- Estimated cost of the MRI machine $2.7 Million
- Renovations for the equipment $1.5 Million
- Refurbishment of current equipment $300,000
- Fundraising expenses $200,000
Because of the significant health benefits to the residents of Grey Bruce, we hope you will generously support this project. One-time donations are welcome or you may pledge over a three-year period.
Grey Bruce Health Services’ Five Foundations
MRI testing at the Owen Sound hospital is a regional service, so the five Foundations supporting Grey Bruce Health Services are working together to raise the $4.7 million needed.
Thank you for your consideration! Please contact us should you have questions – we would be pleased to arrange a tour of our facilities or discuss this project with you in more detail..